Sunday, June 28, 2009

Reflection

As the end of this course approaches, I look back to my theories of how students learn. Basically, as I had mentioned in my Week One assignment, the goal for my Science students was learning through a hands on experience. Being a "Specials" teacher, I will see my students for about seven days every quarter. With limited days of instruction and an awareness of different learning styles, I try to give each student their opportunity to learn. Often in my Science classroom, my students will create or build a model to help them learn. Dr. Michael Orey (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a), defined Constructionism with the students, "Getting involved in building stuff". I will continue to use models, visuals, songs and hands on experiences in my classroom. Now with new knowledge of technology tools learned from the course, I will be able to create a better learning environment.

One immediate adjustment that I plan to make is, better use of Concept Mapping tools. I have used this as an instructional tool in the past. Now with the use of technology, students can create their own concept maps for a more interactive lesson. I plan to have my students use a concept mapping program to organize their information on the habitats of Georgia. Another adjustment I plan to make soon is to incorporate the use of the interactive white board. I recently found out that I will be receiving one of these for the next school year. Many teachers seem to believe that the boards are a teaching tool. I plan to use it as an interactive learning tool for my students. Dr. Orey (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009b) stated, "Learning Tools are what the child can do with the technology".

I also have two long-term goals that I want make in my classroom. The first is to develop new creative instruction with the use of Voice Thread. I found this learning tool to be amazing and want to introduce it to teachers at my school. The possibilities for using Voice Thread for learning seem endless so therefore, I plan to form a group at school to create fun lessons for our students. My only concern is getting Internet clearance from the school board. The second long-term goal is the use of Virtual Field Trips in my instruction. The idea of taking a class on an adventure without leaving the classroom is quite intriguing. Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M. & Malenoski, K. (2007) explained, "The live expedition broadcasts are available via KU Band satellite dish and via the National Geographic Channel". It would be great to take a class to the south pole on a live broadcast. I will have to check with our Media Center to set this up.

References

Laureate Education, Inc., (Producer). (2009a). Program seven. Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc., (Producer). (2009b). Program thirteen. Technology: Instructional Tool vs. Learning Tool. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M. & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment